Archive - News Article
By now we have all heard and been touched by the story of the heavily armed man that walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut on Friday and opened fire.
Within minutes, 26 innocent people were dead at the school, 20 of them children ages 6 and 7.
The shooter, identified by three law enforcement officials as 20-year-old Adam Lanza, also was killed, apparently by his own hand. Separately, his mother's body was found at a Newtown residence.
1. Most of Santaâ€™s reindeer have male-sounding names, such as Blitzer, Comet, and Cupid. However, male reindeers shed their antlers around Christmas, so the reindeer pulling Santaâ€™s sleigh are likely not male, but female.
2. Norwegian scientists have hypothesized that Rudolphâ€™s red nose is probably the result of a parasitic infection of his respiratory system.
3. The Germans made the first artificial Christmas trees out of dyed goose feathers.
4. All the gifts in the Twelve Days of Christmas would equal 364 gifts.
You will need: 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix (Betty Crocker Super Moist suggested), 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, and confectioners' sugar or granulated sugar, for rolling.
An old tradition has been resurrected and has made it's first appearance in over 20 years for this holiday season.
The tree is located at the end of south High Street in front of the court house and will be decorated with ornaments that were made by area elementary school children.
The tree lighting is scheduled for Friday, Dec. 14th at 6:30 p.m.
Oklahoma prison officials report that the convicted killer who escaped from the Mack Alford Correctional Facility in Stringtown was recently recaptured in Hugo.
Jason Bales, 29 year-old inmate, was reported missing after a routine head count at the medium security prison on Monday morning, Dec. 3, 2012. He was recaptured on Sunday morning, Dec. 9, 2012, at around 10:30 a.m.
Pushmataha Countyâ€™s new sheriff has taken office early. After Jim Duncan opted for early retirement, Terry Duncan was sworn in and is now Pushmataha Countyâ€™s acting sheriff.
Jim Duncan was first elected as Pushmataha Countyâ€™s Sheriff back in 2004. Jim Duncan is married to Rita Duncan. Rita was elected as Sheriff of Pushmataha County and made history in 1996 for being named the first Oklahoma woman to be elected sheriff.
Jim was thrown a surprise retirement party before leaving office with many in attendance. Everyone has wished him the best and hopes he enjoys his retirement.
Have we become a society that is too busy for gift wrap? When a birthday arrives or the holidays come around in full force, where do most people turn? To the ultra-convenient gift bag, that's where.
Gift bags have largely taken over the party aisles at most stores, where rows and rows of gift bags in all shapes and sizes are not uncommon. If you're trying to find a roll of wrapping paper, good luck. For birthdays, anniversaries and even baby showers, paper designs have essentially become obsolete.
Even though the first decade of the 21st century witnessed a change in how nearly everyone acquires and listens to music, some things about music -- especially holiday music -- may never change. According to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, the following 25 songs were the most performed holiday songs of the first decade of the 21st century. The date was compiled with the aide of Mediaguide, the most comprehensive digital audio performance tracking technology in the world.
1. Winter Wonderland - Eurythmics.
Families across the globe cherish their Christmas traditions. Customs may be unique to every family, but many countries boast their own unique traditions as well.
* Australia: Many Australians celebrate Christmas by coming together at night to sing carols outside. That's not as chilly as it might sound, as Christmas in Australia actually falls during summer vacation. In fact, many of the country's most popular Christmas traditions occur outside.