Skip to main content

Do I Need A CDL?

June 8, 2011


There are 4 classes for drivers licenses which the State of Oklahoma issue. How does a driver now which class of license is needed to operate a motor vehicle? The answers can be found by looking at the state laws.

The first type of license is commonly referred to as a class A Commercial Driver License (CDL). Title 47 section 1-107.1 defines a Class A Commercial Motor Vehicle as any combination of vehicles except a Class D motor vehicle, with a gross combined weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more pounds provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle of vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand (10,000) pounds.

In Title 47 section 1-107.2 Class B commercial motor vehicles are defined as a single vehicle, except a Class D , with a gross combined weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of ten thousand (10,000) pounds gross vehicle weight rating. This class shall apply to a bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 lbs and designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Class C commercial motor vehicle , as defined in Title 47 section 1-107.3 are any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, other than a class A or B which is: 1. Required to be placarded for hazardous materials under 49 C.F.R., Part 172, subpart F; or 2. Designed by the manufacturer to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Finally, Title 47 section 107.4 defines a Class D vehicle as any motor vehicle or combination of vehicle which: 1. Regardless of weight: is marked and used as authorized emergency vehicle, is designed and used solely as a recreational vehicle, 2: is a single or combination vehicle with a gross combined weight rating of less that 26,001 pounds, 3: Is a single of combination farm vehicle with a gross combined weight rating of more that 26,001 lbs if: it is entitled to be registered with a farm tag and has a farm tag attached thereto, is controlled and operated by a farmer, his or her family or employees, is used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, farm supplies or any combination of those materials to or from a farm, is not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier and is used within 150 air miles of the person’s farm.

Paragraph 3, exempts a farmer from the CDL requirement, if this requirement is not met then a CDL is required.

This article applies to persons operating in both interstate and intrastate commerce within the State of Oklahoma. Further information can be found by contacting the Oklahoma Department of Highway Patrol Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division at 405-702-0813.

The Rattan Rams have been named the Class A Regional Baseball Champions and are now on their way...
Lady Rams, Rams, Bulldogs advance to Area Bearcats, Lady Cats continue Regional play The Lady Rams...
Three Pushmataha County girls competed in a gymnastics meet December 6 at Big C.A.T.S....


Classified Ads

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes